Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Favorite Children's Picture Books

I love reading with my children and I love children's books. I loved them as a child. I loved them as a teacher and Speech-Language Pathologist. And I love them as a parent. I will read to my children whenever they ask. At minimum we read before nap and bedtime. I wanted to share a couple of my favorite children's series and authors with you.

Iza Trapani

Iza Trapani takes classic nursery rhymes and adds extra verses to make the rhyme into a story. The Itsy Bitsy Spider tries to climb several things in addition to the water spout before finally succeeding in spinning her web. A family of bears is taking a boat trip down the river in Row, Row, Row Your Boat. In How Much is that Doggie in the Window a boy tries to earn the money to buy himself the dog he admires in the pet store window. In I'm a Little Teapot the teapot takes some children on an imaginary journey around the world. These are just a few of Iza Trapani's books. Her books are often available in both board book and paperback. I personally prefer the size and durability of the board books for reading with a young child in my lap. These books have a lot of longevity too. I've been reading them to Michael since he was a baby. When he was a baby he just liked the songs. When he was a toddler he still enjoyed the songs and he also loved the pictures and paid some attention to the stories. Now, approaching 3 1/2, he's noticing all of the details (and there are many) in the pictures and loves the extra verses in the stories. The books have grown with him. It's hard to choose, but these are our favorites:





Karma Wilson

Karma Wilson has written a lot of children's books, but we love two series in particular. The first is for younger children and are board books. We've only read two of the series although there are at least four. It is a series about a kitten named Calico. The books have a wonderful rhythm and the adventures of the mischievous kitten really appeal to the kids. The second series is about a bear and his group of forest friends and is a really wonderful series of books. We have all of them and they are great. They are fun to read, the illustrations are wonderful and the stories are sweet. They appeal to both my toddler and my preschooler. I'm going to list both Calico books and our four favorites out of the six Bear books currently available.


 

I'm going to stop there for now. I'll do more another time. Do any of you have favorite children's picture books you'd like to share?

3 comments:

  1. I love all Eric Carle books - I like how their repetitive and I can use the cloze technique with my 5 year old so she feels likes she's starting to read...and the pictures are just so colorful and great for my 2 year old to point to and look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. My children love The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me, and Brown Bear, Brown Bear in particular.

    On YouTube you can find video versions of some of the Eric Carle books and my kids love those too. They're very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this site is in fact pleasant..
    printers sydney
    Best Printing Services In Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics