Monday, May 16, 2011

A Little Bit of Innocence Lost

A while back, I got Ava a box of assorted hair accessories hoping that three kinds of hair bands, two kinds of hair clips, and two kinds of barrettes all in 6 colors each would fascinate her enough to persuade her to let me put a barrette in her hair.


Instead she calls them all her treasures, the box they came in her "treasure box", uses the hair bands as bracelets, and thinks it's hilarious to put the hair clips on all her fingers at once. Well, at least it was entertaining.

A couple of months ago, when I was trying to persuade Ava yet again that these things were HAIR accessories by putting them in my hair, Michael decided that it was great fun and wanted me to put them in his hair. It was adorable. We all had fun. Ava though Michael looked great while still completely resisting participating herself.

Today I got the box back out for yet another try. My mom was over and snuck a hair clip into Michael's hair from behind. After asking her to take it back out he said, "I'm not a girl. I don't want those in my hair." I was actually completely surprised. I've never said anything like that around the house. He must have gotten that from school. It isn't that I want him to wear pink hair clips forever. I'm just sad that a little bit of innocence has been lost. He thought it was fun before and it was fun. Now he won't participate in that fun any more because someone at school told him hair accessories are only for girls. He's growing up so fast.

1 comment:

  1. This article led me to think about the importance of maintaining a sense of your own style and self-confidence, despite the difficult moments in life. Sometimes small changes in appearance can help us feel better even as the world around us changes. Whenever I feel like updating my look and giving myself a little pampering, I always go to this barbershop. They are true professionals and always help me look and feel my best. Thank you for this article, which reminded me that small steps in taking care of ourselves and our appearance can go a long way towards our well-being and self-confidence, even when life throws us challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics