Monday, July 25, 2011

Nervous

Later today is our first IFSP six month review meeting. I will be there along with Ava's therapist and our service coordinator. I'm not really sure what to expect and that always makes me a bit nervous. I think the purpose of the meeting is just to check in and see if Ava is making progress towards her goals and make changes if necessary.

Ava has done so well in her first six months of therapy. It is hard to believe six months has gone by already. Ava has gone from being a practically non-verbal child who couldn't imitate and had only three consonants and a handful of vowels to a child who is chattering non-stop at home. We can't understand her all the time of course. She is particularly difficult to understand when the sentences are longer or when she's talking about something out of context. But what amazing progress in such a short time.

But here's the twist. I'm afraid to say so. Somehow, I'm afraid that if I talk about how proud of her I am, and what a wonderful job her therapist has done that they will conclude she no longer qualifies for services and take that away from us.

So I think I'll squash my usual nature and try not to talk much at the meeting. I'll try to listen and only respond when necessary and walk carefully. Perhaps I am worrying without cause, but better safe than sorry.

When I get a chance, I'll let you know how the meeting went.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck today! Thinking of you during your meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Gentle Blue. I saw it this morning before our meeting and it made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics