Sunday, January 1, 2012

Car Ride Activities Set 2

In order to prepare for a long car ride with two young children I made as many simple activities as I could think of to pull out in the car. If any of you need to go on a trip with young children you might try these. They would be great activities at home too, but these are pretty portable and so I save them for the car trip.

Car Ride Activities Set 2


Button Snakes



I cut two 10 inch long pieces of ribbon. I sewed a button on one end of each ribbon and a 2 inch by 2 inch square of felt onto the other end of the ribbon. Then I cut a lot of additional 2 x 2 inch felt squares in a variety of colors and snipped a buttonhole into the center of each square. The idea is for the children to thread the squares onto the "snake" and back off. Patterning is optional.

Usborne 100 Things for Little Children to do on a Trip



I bought the Usborne 100 Things for Little Children to do on a Trip card set. I sorted out the easiest cards that I thought my little ones could do (2 and 4 years old) and put the rest away for the next trip. About 1/3 of the cards made the cut. I provided them with dry erase markers and an eraser made from felt and let them draw on the cards and attempt to do the activities.

Geoboards with Shape Cards





My children have never used geoboards before, so I picked up a couple of inexpensive geoboards on Amazon. I used Microsoft publisher to make up some simple shape cards to pass out to the children along with their rubber bands to give them ideas for things they can do with the boards.

___________________

Happy New Year everyone!

If you like these activities, you may be interested in more.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to make shape cards for use with geoboards. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas you have!!! Thank you for well written, clear ideas on so many activities. I posted about a Button Snake awhile back and have a customer asking for a busy bag for a toddler to learn size sorting....and this post reminded me of that great activity that I'll modify to work for the little one.
    Once the activity is created, I'll feature you on our blog page. Thanks again.
    http://busybagcentral.blogspot.com/2012/01/button-snake-busy-bag.html
    Plus I often have people asking for ideas on busy bags for car trips....and now I know where to send them for ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of your busy bag ideas! I don't suppose you still have your Microsoft shape cards saved on your computer (or in the cloud?) If so, would you be willing to share by turning into a PDF first?

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics